A landfill-based solar energy project is closer to being fully operational after the installation of a specialized ballast mounting framework designed to meet the site’s unique. Solar FlexRack said July 12 that it had installed the technology for Prometheus Power, which built the project on a 27-acre landfill site in Spanish Fork Utah, deemed unusable for commercial development. The 4.7 MW facility is being managed by the Utah Municipal Power Agency. Solar Flex Rack said there has been an 80 percent increase in landfill solar projects built in the U.S. within the past five years; the challenge is that these sites have different construction parameters, namely nothing is allowed to penetrate the surface and there are specific regulations that apply to these types of locations. It will be the largest landfill solar project in the state when it comes online later this summer.

Ameresco and the City of Arvada, Colorado, successfully completed an comprehensive energy conservation and renewable energy project, the companies said in a July 12 joint announcement. The project involved 15 different city facilities and was made possible through a $4.5 million Energy Savings Performance Contract. In addition to the installation of five solar PV systems, upgrades to buildings, lighting, and plumbing were made. Construction was completed in March. The city anticipates a 6 percent reduction in annual energy consumption as a result as well as an 11 percent reduction in electrical demand and a 21 percent reduction in total utility costs.

JetBlue inked two new contracts for sustainable aviation fuel and started flights using the fuel from Los Angeles International Airport it said in a July 12 news release. It is working with World Energy and World Fuel Services and will increase its use of SAF to 1.5 million gallons of blended SAF a year for at least three years. This is roughly five percent of its total LAX fuel use. Its goal is to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2040 and has used carbon offsets to be carbon neutral to date while working on reducing its direct emissions. World Energy is providing the fuel, the delivery of which is being managed by World Fuel Services. JetBlue said it plans to expand its domestic and international flights from LAX to 70 flights per day by 2025 and intends for 10 percent of its total fuel used by 2030 to be blended SAF. Another supplier is currently providing the airline’s San Francisco International Airport operations with SAF. The airline is also aiming to convert 40 percent of its three main ground service equipment vehicle types to electric by 2025 and 50 percent by 2030.

Delta-Montrose Electric Association on July 13 said Alyssa Clemsen Roberts would join the 28,000-member Colorado electric distribution cooperative as CEO on Aug. 23. Roberts most recently served as chief strategy officer at Platte River Power Authority in Fort Collins, Colorado and has also held leadership positions at Ozark Electric Cooperative in Fayetteville, Arkansas and Pedernales Electric Cooperative in Johnson City, Texas. Her non-utility experience includes supporting rural broadband expansion through the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Rural Utilities Service and successful lobbying for federal funding of rural broadband experiments to help rural utilities provide broadband services. “Alyssa’s experience at cooperatives around the country and at an important public power utility here in Colorado has given her great insight into and knowledge of cooperatives, power markets, and broadband,” DMEA Board President Kyle Martinez said in a news release.

California’s Office of Energy Infrastructure and Safety on July 14 approved 2021 wildfire mitigation plan updates for San Diego Gas & Electric, PacifiCorp, Liberty Utilities, Horizon West and Trans Bay Cable. The office plans to issue a draft evaluation for Southern California Edison’s WMP by the end of the month, followed by draft evaluations for Pacific Gas & Electric and Bear Valley Electric Service in August according to a June 15 news release. The OEIS was established by 2018 legislation that also requires California utilities to file the plans. It operated as the Wildfire Safety Division within the California Public Utilities Commission until July 1 when it moved to the California Natural Resources Agency(see CEM No. 1648 [12]). OEIS is charged with enforcing electric utilities’ wildfire safety compliance. CPUC must ratify OEIS’ final evaluations and approvals for the plans.

© Copyright 2021 NewsData, LLC, 5625 NE Elam Young Pkwy, Ste 100 Hillsboro, OR | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy Powered by BLOX Content Management System from TownNews.com.